This delicious bacon and jalapeño cheese ball will add Mexican flair to a decadent platter! Serve it with crackers, a nice selection of preserves and a crisp bottle of wine.
SERVES 12–15 // COOKING TIME 30 minutes plus 2 hours cooling time
8 rashers bacon, diced
¼ cup flaked almonds
¼ cup chopped parsley
500 g cream cheese, at room temperature
1¼ cups grated cheddar
¼ cup finely chopped jalapeños
1 tbsp salad dressing or mayonnaise
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1. Fry the bacon over high heat until it is crispy. Place on paper towel to drain and cool. Once cooled, chop into even smaller pieces.
2. Mix ½ bacon, ½ almonds and ½ parsley with all cream cheese, cheddar, jalapeños, dressing or mayonnaise, and cayenne pepper.
3. Turn out the mixture on to cling film and form into a ball. Wrap up and freeze for 1 hour.
4. Place the remaining bacon, almonds and parsley on a plate and roll the cheese ball in them, ensuring that it is evenly coated. Reshape ball if needed. Place in the fridge for 1 hour
5. Serve the cheese ball with crackers and grapes.
Recipe & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Kendall-Leigh Nash // HMimages.co.za