Nothing beats the cold better than some good old traditional chicken soup! Make this amazing recipe with great spices and herbs to get that immune system going again.
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 2 hours 30 min
3 tbsp olive oil
200 g leeks, halved
3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2 onions, peeled and chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 stalk celery
1 tomato chopped
1 turnip, peeled and chopped
1 whole chicken (±1.3 kg)
4 L water
6 sprigs parsley
1 tsp dried thyme
1 bay leaf
Salt and black pepper
1. In a pot, fry all the vegetables until soft, 5–10 minutes.
2. Add the chicken, water, parsley, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Bring the soup to the boil, then simmer for 2 hours, skimming the foam and fat from the surface every 30 minutes.
3. Remove the celery, parsley, bay leaf and chicken.
4. Skin the chicken and use a fork to shred the meat from the bones.
5. Remove 2 cups soup and blend it until smooth. Add it back to the pot for a thicker, richer texture.
6. Return the shredded chicken to the pot and heat through.