They are sweet, buttery, packed with flavour, and will go like, well, hotcakes.
MAKES 10 // HANDS-ON 20 min // HANDS-OFF 30 min
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
55 g unsalted butter, 40g melted and slightly cooled
200 ml milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
200 g cake flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
50 g pecans, chopped
60 ml vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Place the sweet potatoes in a roasting tin with 1 tbsp butter and a little salt. Roast until soft, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and mash with a fork.
3. Beat together the eggs. Mix in the milk, vanilla essence and melted butter.
4. In another bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and 1 tsp salt.
5. Fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture until just combined. Add the sweet potato and pecans.
6. Allow to rest while you heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
7. Place spoonfuls of mixture in the pan. Cook until golden on the bottom and bubbles begin to form, then flip over and cook until the other side is golden.
8. Drain on paper towel and serve immediately.
Just because all the bright summer produce you love is going out of season, doesn’t mean you can’t whip up a beautiful meal with fresh ingredients, like zucchini fritti (fried baby-marrow fingers).