These crunchy spiced cauliflower pitas are packed with flavour, easy to make, and healthy! What more could you possibly want in a snack?
SERVES 4 // COOK TIME 15 min
½ cup vegetable oil
1½ tbsp chilli flakes
1 red chilli, chopped
1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 tbsp Moroccan spice mix
2 eggs, beaten
¼ cup golden syrup
4 pita breads, heated
180 g tub hummus
¼ red onion, thinly sliced
1. Preheat oven to 220°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Carefully heat the oil in a pan over medium heat until smoking. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 1 minute. Stir in the chilli flakes and chilli and set aside to infuse.
3.While the oil is infusing, steam the cauliflower for 4 minutes.
4. Mix the breadcrumbs and Moroccan spice together.
5. Dip cauliflower into the beaten egg and then into breadcrumbs. Once evenly coated, place on the prepared tray. Bake for about 10 min, until golden brown.
6. Mix the syrup into the chilli oil. Drizzle half over the crispy cauliflower and toss to coat. Add more if needed.
7. To serve, spread pita breads with hummus. Top with crispy cauliflower and drizzle with remaining chilli oil. Garnish with a handful of fresh coriander and sliced red onion.
Recipes & styling: Jezza-Rae Larsen
Photography: Chanelle Manuel/HMIMAGES.CO.ZA
These lentil balls with green sauce are the perfect, delicious and healthy snack. The sauce is also very versatile and can be used for many other recipes!