Make the classic favourite, fish and chips, in the comfort of your own home. Plus, it’s budget-friendly!
SERVES 4 / HANDS-ON 40 min
250 ml flour
250 ml cornflour
½ tsp turmeric
Salt and lemon pepper
500 ml soda water
800g hake, divided in 4
5 potatoes, peeled
Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
1 lemon, cut into wedges
1. Mix flour, cornflour, turmeric and a pinch of salt.
2. Whisk in the soda water until the batter is smooth.
3. Season the hake with salt and lemon pepper.
4. Cut the potatoes into chips and leave in a bowl of water while you heat the oil. Dry the chips and fry in batches until golden. Drain and sprinkle with potato spice.
5. Dip the fish in the batter and deep-fry until golden brown and crispy. Drain on paper towel.
6. Serve with lemon wedges.
Do you love tuna bake? Make this creamy and delicious one with a plain old box of Bacon Kips.