Add some smoky flavours to your mac and cheese with a sneaky little addition.
⅓ cup flour
200g mature cheddar, grated
Salt and pepper
250g brown mushrooms, sliced
Olive oil, to fry
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp chopped thyme
500g macaroni, cooked as per packet instructions
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Place the butter and flour in a pot. Cook for about 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Add the milk slowly, whisking.
3. Simmer the sauce over low heat until it thickens. Add two thirds of the cheese and season well with salt and pepper.
4. Fry mushrooms in oil until browned, 10 minutes. Season well and add paprika and thyme.
5. Stir this through the cooked pasta, along with white sauce, eggs and parsley.
6. Spoon into an ovenproof dish, top with the remaining cheese and bake for 20–30 minutes.
Recipes & Styling: Caro Alberts
Photography: Juliette Bisset/HSMimages.co.za
You shouldn’t have to spend hours cooking or rush to throw together your weekday lunches! Have it sorted in 10 minutes with our tortilla chip dipping bowl.