Serve up breakfast with a bit of Mediterranean flair, with our Portuguese baked eggs. We’ve packed in chorizo, chillies, plenty of cheese … basically everything you need to start your day off right.
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 45 min
1 tbsp olive oil
150g chorizo, sliced
2 red peppers, seeded and diced
1 chilli, seeded and chopped
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
1 tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp dried thyme
2 × 400g tin chopped tomatoes
80g Parmesan, grated
Salt and pepper
Basil, to garnish
Bread, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Heat the oil in an ovenproof pan. Fry the chorizo for 5 minutes. Add the peppers, chilli and onion and cook for 10 minutes, until onion is soft. Add the garlic, paprika and thyme and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add the tomatoes and cook, covered, for 15–20 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat and make 6 hollows for the eggs. Spoon the ricotta in-between the hollows, then crack in the eggs. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
5. Bake for 10 minutes, until the eggs are just set.
6. Season with salt and pepper, and garnish with basil. Serve with bread.
Yes, breakfast can get this good in under half an hour. Follow our easy recipe to enjoy restaurant-style poached egg, smoked mackerel and hollandaise bagels in the comfort of your own home.