A hollowed-out half loaf of fresh, crusty white bread, a delicious filling of budget-friendly curry, and a beautiful South African day – it’s what casual entertaining is made of.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 60 mins
⅓ cup vegetable oil
500g stewing mutton, chopped
1 onion, peeled and chopped
3 cinnamon sticks
1 bay leaf
1 tsp fennel seeds
¼ tsp turmeric
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
3 tbsp masala spice
1 tbsp peeled and grated ginger
410g tin chopped tomatoes
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 loaf white bread, quartered, insides removed
Coriander, to garnish
1. Heat the oil in a pot and brown the meat. Remove from the pot and set aside.
2. Add the onion, cinnamon, bay leaf, fennel seeds and turmeric to the pot and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
3. Add the garlic, masala and ginger and cook for a further 1 minute.
4. Add the meat, tomatoes, potatoes and 1 cup water. Simmer, covered, for 45 minutes, until meat is tender and potatoes are soft. Season.
5. Fill the hollowed-out ¼ bread loaves with the curry and garnish with coriander.