Sundays are for labouring over the stove, long family chats and doing nothing at all… Except whip up a perfectly cooked, red wine-soaked lamb shank. Sprinkle some fragrant pomegranate rubies on top for a pop of spring freshness.
2 tbsp olive oil
4 lamb shanks
Salt and pepper
Flour, to dust
4 shallots, peeled and halved
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 cup red wine
2 tbsp brown sugar
¼ cup molasses
2 tins chopped tomatoes
1 cup lamb stock
250g polenta, cooked according to packet instructions
3 sprigs rosemary
100g pomegranate seeds
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC.
2. Heat the oil in a large oven-proof pot over medium-high heat.
3. Dust the lamb shanks in seasoned flour and brown on all sides until sealed and golden. Remove from the pot and set aside.
4. Reduce the heat and add the shallots. Sauté until golden and then add the garlic and sauté for another minute.
5. Deglaze the pot with red wine and reduce by half.
6. Return the shanks to the pot and add the sugar, molasses, chopped tomatoes and lamb stock. Stir through.
7. Turn the oven down to 160ºC, cover the pot and cook in the oven for two hours, until the sauce has reduced by half and the meat is falling off the bone.
8. Serve each shank on a bed of soft polenta and garnish with rosemary and pomegranate seeds.
Serve up breakfast with a bit of Mediterranean flair, with our Portuguese baked eggs. We’ve packed in chorizo, chillies, plenty of cheese … basically everything you need to start your day off right.