Get a taste of the tropical islands of Indonesia with this spicy kingklip and coconut curry. You’ll be amazed by the perfect pairing of flavours, and how well it goes down in summer.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 25 min
1 tbsp butter
1 onion, chopped
3 cm fresh ginger, grated
4 garlic cloves, crushed
4 bird’s eye chillies
2 lemongrass stalks, bruised
1 tsp shrimp paste
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp curry powder
400 ml tin coconut milk
3 kingklip fillets
Fresh coriander, to garnish
Lime slices, to garnish
1. Heat butter in a pot and sauté onions until translucent.
2. Add ginger, garlic, chillies, lemon grass and shrimp paste. Reduce to low heat and fry for 8 minutes.
3. Add sugar and curry powder. Cook, stirring gently, for 1 minute.
4. Add coconut milk and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook for 5 minutes.
5. In a pan over medium-high heat, fry the fish for 3 minutes on each side, until browned. Add to the sauce.
6. Serve the curry garnished with coriander and lime.
Recipe & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za