Did you know that granita is more than just a refreshing summer treat? It’s a traditional Italian frozen dessert typically made from sugar, water and various flavourings. This recipe takes advantage of the seasons flavours with fresh watermelon.
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 20 mins, plus freezing time
¼ watermelon, plus slices to garnish
½ cup icing sugar, or to taste
1. In a food processor, blend the flesh of the watermelon.
2. Strain through a sieve to get rid of the pips and pulp.
3. Add icing sugar and whisk well.
4. Pour into a shallow container and place in the freezer.
5. Once the mixture begins to freeze, scrape with a fork every 30 minutes to break up the ice crystals until it’s frozen and fluffy.