We love coconut cream, and it doesn’t have to be reserved for desserts and hot curries alone. We spiced up the humble chicken dinner by flavouring the accompanying rice with the sweet and nutty taste of coconut.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 95 mins
4 skinless chicken breast fillets
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp Chinese five-spice
2 cups basmati rice
400 ml coconut cream
2 cm fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
A few drops of sesame oil
500g mixed stir-fry vegetables
Coriander, to garnish
Green chilli, sliced, to serve
Lime wedges, to serve
1. Use a rolling pin to pound each chicken breast to flatten it.
2. Place the chicken, olive oil and five-spice in a bowl. Toss to coat, then leave to marinate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
3. Place rice, coconut cream, ginger, sesame oil and 1½ cups water in a pot. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce to a low simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside, covered, for 10 minutes.
4. Fry the chicken in a pan over high heat for 8–10 minutes, until cooked through. Break-up into smaller pieces. Add the mixed vegetables and fry for 5 minutes, until cooked through.
5. Remove the ginger from the rice. Serve the chicken, vegetables and rice garnished with coriander, with chilli and lime wedges on the side.