Now here’s a happy, hearty mid-week meal the kids will just love. Make sure your kabeljou is tank-farmed, or make sure you are using a sustainable option if you choose to use a different kind of fresh fish.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 30 mins
500g tank-farmed kabeljou fillet, skin removed
5 potatoes, peeled
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup dry breadcrumbs
Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
Sea salt and pepper
1. Slice the kabeljou into 2 cm strips. Slice the potatoes into matchsticks.
2. Dip each strip of fish in the egg, then in the breadcrumbs. Set aside.
3. In a large, deep pot, heat the oil to 130°C. Fry the chips until golden and crisp. Drain on paper towel.
4. Increase the temperature of the oil to 180°C. Fry the fish fingers until golden and cooked through. Drain on paper towel.
5. Season the fish and chips and serve immediately.