Our guide on how to make peri-peri espetadas.
MAKES 8 // HANDS-ON 25 min // HANDS-OFF 120 mins
125 ml vegetable oil
125 ml grape vinegar
125 ml lemon juice
125 ml water
2 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp chilli powder
2 tbsp salt
8 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
3 bird’s-eye chillies, chopped
2 kg rump steak
1. Place all the ingredients (but the steak) in a bowl or a ziplock bag and mix well.
2. Cut the steak into cubes of 3–4 cm. Toss through marinade, ensuring they’re evenly coated. Place in the fridge for 2 hours. (It is quite a strong marinade, so this should be enough time.)
3. Divide the steak between 8 skewers. Set marinade aside.
4. Braai for 8 minutes over very hot coals until medium-rare, turning about 4 times.
5. Meanwhile, boil the marinade in a small pot over the fire or on the stove. Taste as you go along, making sure there’s no raw-meat taste left.