Dazzle your guests by turning their all-time favourite desserts into amazingly moreish ice cream flavours. Start with this melktert ice cream recipe!
SERVES 6 // COOK TIME 10 min // FREEZING TIME 4 hr
⅓ cup butter
2 tsp cinnamon
¼ cup honey
¼ cup lemon juice
¼ cup double-thick cream
200 g packet Tennis biscuits
1.8 L vanilla ice cream
1. Melt the butter in a pot over medium heat. Mix in the cinnamon, honey and lemon juice.
2. While stirring constantly, pour the cream into the hot honey mixture and slowly bring to the boil. Boil, stirring, for 1 minute.
3. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely. Crumble the Tennis biscuits into the sauce, reserving some for serving. Mix to combine.
4. Scoop ice cream into a large bowl and let it soften Mix in the Tennis biscuit mixture.
5. Spoon into a freezer-proof container and smooth the surface. Cover and freeze for 4 hours or until set.
Think ahead: Sprinkle a little extra cinnamon on top of each bowl of ice cream for an authentic melktert look.
Try our twist on the classic South African dessert, malva pudding with this chocolate malva pudding with apricot ganache. It’s so good!