Let’s face it, pickled fish will always be a favourite in South Africa no matter the time of year. So why not indulge in these yummy curried pickled fish bites?
SERVES 8-10 // COOKING TIME 45 min, plus 48 hour pickling time
1 cup flour
2 tsp salt
1.5 kg firm white fish fillets
2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 cups white wine vinegar
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp curry powder
1 tbsp black peppercorns
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground cumin
2 onions, peeled and sliced
2 cm ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
Zest of 1 lemon
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp cornflour
Baby salad leaves, to serve
Mini socca flatbreads, to serve
1. Sprinkle the flour and 1 tsp salt on a plate. Roll each fish fillet in the mixture to coat it.
2. Heat oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat and fry the fish in batches until just done.
3. In a pot over medium heat, fill with 1 cup water, vinegar, sugar, curry powder, black peppercorns, coriander seeds, turmeric, cumin and 1 tsp salt. Bring to the boil, then add onions, ginger, lemon zest and bay leaves. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Mix the cornflour with 2 tbsp water to make a paste and add it to the pot. Simmer for about 2–3 minutes, until the sauce is slightly thickened. Set aside to cool.
5. Layer the fish and the curry mixture in a glass dish. Pour over any leftover sauce. Cover and refrigerate for 2 days to allow to pickle.
6. Serve pickled fish on mini socca flatbreads, topped with baby salad leaves.