This crumbed chicken recipe wth butternut wedges and home-made tomato sauce is quick and easy, but tastes like you’ve just stepped into a gourmet bistro!
SERVES 4 // COOK TIME ± 40 mins
500g butternut, cut into wedges
¼ cup olive oil
Salt and pepper
½ cup flour
3 tbsp lemon salt
½ cup panko breadcrumbs
2 tbsp chopped parsley
Zest of 1 lemon
3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
4 chicken breasts
2 eggs, beaten
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 red chillies, finely chopped
3 tbsp tomato paste
2 tins whole cherry tomatoes
1 cup water
2 tbsp sugar
Micro herbs, to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Place the butternut in a roasting pan and drizzle with half of the olive oil. Season and place in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until almost tender.
3. Meanwhile, mix the flour, lemon salt and some pepper together in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together the panko breadcrumbs, parsley, lemon zest and one crushed garlic clove.
4. Dip the chicken breasts in the flour mixture, then the egg, and coat well with the crumb mixture.
5. Place the crumbed chicken on a foil-lined baking tray and bake for 20 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the chicken is cooked through.
6. While the chicken is cooking, heat the remaining olive oil in a pot. Fry the onion until soft, then add the remaining garlic and the chillies. Cook for two to three minutes.
7. Add the tomato paste, tinned tomatoes and water, and cover with the lid. Allow the sauce to simmer on a low heat for 20 to 25 minutes until reduced.
8. Add the sugar, season well and check the consistency. If the sauce is too thick, add more water; if the sauce is too runny, continue cooking with the lid off.
9. Serve the tomato sauce in a bowl, topped with the butternut wedges and crumbed chicken. Garnish with micro herbs.
These Hawaiian chicken burgers are the perfect summer dish. Easy-to-make, refreshing and super tasty! Serve with potato wedges and you’re good to go!