These choc-chip chickpea brownies are packed with plenty of goodness so even though you’re having a treat you’re also being healthy!
SERVES 9 // COOK TIME 1 hour
2 × 400 g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup honey
½ cup coconut sugar
2 tbsp almond milk
4 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 cup chocolate chips, plus to decorate
Sea salt, to decorate
Dark chocolate, to decorate
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and grease a 20 cm2 baking tin.
2. Place all ingredients, except the chocolate chips and sea salt, in a food processor. Blend until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips with a wooden spoon.
3. Pour the batter into the tin and spread evenly. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and sea salt.
4. Bake for 30–40 minutes, until the edges just pull away from the tin, and the top is set and slightly golden brown.
5. Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes, then drizzle with melted dark chocolate and raw caramel (see Healthy banoffee pie). Slice into 9 brownies.
Recipes & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography Andreas Eiselen
Desserts don’t have to mean unhealthy treats! These double-thick strawberry milkshakes are a healthy option for any day of the week.