Nothing beats the taste of a homely cream of mushroom and chicken soup. We decided to freshen it up for summer with seasonal mielies and a squeeze of lemon.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 30 mins
¼ cup olive oil
2 chicken breasts
Salt and black pepper
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 mielies, kernels removed
100g portobellini mushrooms, chopped
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup fresh cream
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp chopped coriander, to garnish
Baguette, sliced 1 cm thick
1. Preheat oven to 200˚C.
2. Heat oil in a large pot. Season the chicken and fry until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
3. Sweat the onions until soft. Set aside. Add the corn and mushrooms and fry until soft. Remove and set aside.
4. Turn heat down, add the butter and flour and whisk. Pour in the stock little by little.
5. Cube the chicken and add to the pot. Pour in the cream and lemon juice, and simmer for 5 minutes. Season. Garnish with coriander.
6. Place the bread on a roasting tray, drizzle with oil and bake until golden brown. Serve with the soup.