SERVES 6 // HANDS-ON 35 min // HANDS-OFF 120 mins
450g white bread flour
1½ tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
225 ml lukewarm water
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, peeled and sliced
120g mature cheddar, grated
Milk, to brush
1. Combine flour, yeast, salt and sugar. Add water and 1 tbsp oil. Mix to form a soft dough. Add a little more water if too stiff, or flour if too sticky.
2. Cover the dough and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
3. Knock back until the dough is smooth and elastic. Place in an oiled bowl and cover. Leave in a warm spot to proof until doubled in size, 1 hour.
4. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan over low heat and sweat the onions until soft.
5. Knock back the dough and shape into 8 balls. Flatten each one and place a bit of onion and cheese in the centre of it.
6. Preheat oven to 190°C, and grease and line a round cake tin.
7. Arrange the balls in the tin. Leave to proof until doubled in size.
8. Brush the balls with milk and bake them until light golden, 25–30 minutes.