Planning a picnic on this fine Sunday? Not a caprese salad, not a sarmie, it’s a caprese loaf!
¼ cup flour
Salt and black pepper
Vegetable oil, for frying
1 large round loaf
100g basil pesto
3 large ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
200g buffalo mozzarella, sliced
Handful fresh basil leaves
1. Cut the brinjals into 1.5 cm thick slices. Dust in flour and season.
2. In a large saucepan set over medium to high heat, fry the brinjal slices until golden brown. Drain on paper towel.
3. Slice the top off the round loaf and remove the inside.
4. Spread the base of the loaf with pesto. Then layer with the tomatoes, mozzarella, brinjal, basil leaves, black pepper and salt. Continue layering with ingredients until full.
5. Place the lid of the loaf back on top. Slice into wedges and serve.