Brinjals are a fantastic and filling veggie that can be incorporated into recipes in many different ways. We chose to make them the star of the dish with this brinjal involtini.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 50 min
400 g tin chopped tomatoes
Handful parsley, chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
Salt and pepper
1 large brinjal, thinly sliced lengthways
Olive oil, to fry
250 g ricotta
2 sprigs thyme, chopped
1 sprig rosemary, chopped
1 lemon, zested and juiced
Parmesan, grated, to sprinkle
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. To make the tomato sauce, place the tomatoes, parsley, cumin, coriander and pinch of salt in a pot. Simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.
3. Sprinkle each slice of brinjal with salt and drizzle with oil on both sides. Fry over medium heat until golden on both sides, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
4. Mix ricotta, thyme, rosemary, lemon zest and ½ lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Spoon the tomato sauce into an ovenproof dish so it covers the bottom in a thin layer.
6. Place a spoonful of ricotta filling at the end of each brinjal slice. Roll it up around the filling and place seam-side down in the dish on top of the tomato sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
7. Bake for 20–25 minutes, until the involtini are nicely browned on top.
Recipe & styling: Diane Heierli
Photography: Christoph Heierli