The perfect dish to get you in the mood for the colder months ahead! Go ahead and take a healthy serving of this delicious Autumn chowder.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 30 min
50 g butter
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 red pepper, seeded and diced
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
3 cups vegetable stock
2 cups milk
2 mielies, kernels only
150 g green beans, sliced
Salt and pepper
Garlic toast, to serve
1. Melt the butter in a heavy-based pot over medium heat. Add the celery, red pepper and onion. Fry for 5 minutes to soften.
2. Add the sweet potatoes, stock and milk. Simmer for 10 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
3. Add mielie kernels. Simmer for 5 minutes, until tender.
4. Using a slotted spoon, transfer half of the vegetables from the soup to a blender. Purée, then return to the pot.
5. Add beans and bring back to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, until the beans are just done.
6. Season and serve with the garlic toast.