MAKES 6 // HANDS-ON 30 min
85g pitted dried dates
75g almonds, toasted
45g desiccated coconut
250g dried apricots, chopped
310 ml water
½ vanilla pod (optional)
2 eggs, separated
1. Soak dates in boiling water for 5 minutes, then drain.
2. Blitz dates, almonds, coconut and salt in a food processor until the mixture sticks together.
3. Press into 6 individual 8 cm tart tins, covering the bases and the sides.
4. Simmer the apricots, 250 ml water, 100g sugar and vanilla pod over medium heat until apricots have plumped up. Take off the heat, remove vanilla pod and use a stick blender to blitz.
5. Add egg yolks and return to low heat until mixture thickens, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
6. Slowly heat 100g sugar and 60 ml water in a pot until the sugar dissolves, then increase to a simmer.
7. In the meantime, whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
8. When the sugar mixture starts to turn golden, remove from the heat. Add to the egg whites in a thin stream while using an electric mixer to whip at the fastest speed. The mixture should be cold and glossy.
9. Fill the tins with the apricot filling and top with the meringue, using a spoon or piping bag.