Searching for a go-to, budget-friendly meal for the middle of the week? Then this 20-minute fish parcel recipe is for you! You’re welcome.
SERVES 4 // COOK TIME 20 min
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, peeled, half chopped, half sliced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1½ cups basmati rice
3 cups chicken stock
2 tbsp chopped parsley
500 g frozen hake fillets, defrosted
2 tomatoes, sliced
2 peppers, deseeded and sliced
1 tbsp lemon juice, plus lemon slices to serve
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 190°C.
2. Heat one tablespoon of oil in a pot over medium heat and fry the chopped onion until soft, then add the cumin and coriander, and fry for another 30 seconds, until the spices become fragrant.
3. Add the rice and stir to coat in oil. Add the chicken stock. Simmer with the lid on for 15 minutes or until cooked through. Drain the savoury rice and set aside.
4. Fold a sheet of foil in half and crease to make a line, then unfold. Place the parsley on one half of the foil, topping it with the hake fillets. Place the sliced onions, tomatoes and peppers on top of the fish, drizzle with the remaining oil and lemon juice, and then season.
5. Fold the foil back over the fish and seal the three edges by folding a few times to form an envelope. Place on a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes.
6. Open the foil envelope, being careful not to burn your fingers on the steam. Serve the fish with the savoury rice topped with vegetables. Garnish with lemon slices.
Loved our 20-minute fish parcel? Then try our flavourful salmon glazed with lemon-and-rosemary-infused honey.