It’s Friday, so we thought we’d have some fun and share some pretty cool facts about one of our favourites, jelly beans! How many did you already know?
By Taryn Wilson
1. Jelly beans are made by a process called ‘panning’ which keeps the outer coating hard and the gooey goodness inside.
2. ‘Jellybean’ was the slang word for men who dressed stylishly in the early 20th century.
3. They became a popular sweet after an American sweet company marketed them as the perfect treat for Union soldiers during the Civil War
4. Jelly beans became a popular treat around Easter after 1930, and each year 16 billion jelly beans are made just for this holiday!
5. Jelly beans can take anywhere between 7 to 21 days to be manufactured.
6. Each jelly bean flavour used to be sold separately (how convenient)! There are usually 8 different flavours made.
7. They were the first confectionary good to be sold by weight rather than price.
8. If you were too eat 35 jelly beans, you would be consuming 130 calories and 37 grams of sugar.
9. President Ronald Reagan was obsessed with jelly beans and ordered 7 000 pounds to be distributed for his inauguration. This was when Jelly Belly also established a new flavour, Blueberry, for the event.
10. In 1983, Jelly Belly jelly beans were the first of their kind in space when they travelled on the Challenger Space Shuttle.
Image credit: @50_shades_of_tinglita (Instagram)