4 mielie cobs
2 large eggs
150 ml milk
1 tsp salt
2 tsp white sugar
500g cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp mild curry powder
1 tbsp tomato paste
100 ml water
250g salted butter, softened
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease 6 small terracotta plant pots with butter.
2. Strip the kernels off the cobs.
3. Grind half the kernels in a food processor or with a pestle and mortar into a coarse paste.
4. In a bowl, combine ground and whole mealie kernels, eggs and milk.
5. In another bowl, sift together the salt, sugar, flour and baking powder, and then add this to the mielie mixture.
6. Stir to combine, but make sure not to overmix.
7. Spoon into greased pots and bake for 30–45 minutes until golden on top and an inserted skewer comes out clean.
8. For the curry butter, heat the oil in a frying pan and sauté the onion until translucent.
9. Add the curry powder and tomato paste and fry over low heat for about 1 minute.
10. Add the water and cook for 2 minutes, or until all the water has evaporated to leave a thick curry paste. Leave to cool completely.
11. Mix the cooled curry paste into the softened butter and serve with the bread.
Photography: © Penguin Random House South Africa (Pty) Ltd / Dawie Verwey; text: Extracted from Simply Delicious by Zola Nene (Struik Lifestyle).