Get your daily dose of essential omegas with these healthy breakfast wholewheat flapjacks with chia and lemon. Chia seeds are rich in omega-3, so you should definitely be enjoying a sprinkling over your food each day.
MAKES 8 // COOKING TIME 30 min
2 cups wholewheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
5 tbsp chia seeds
4 tbsp honey, plus extra to serve
2 cups buttermilk
Zest of 2 lemons, plus extra to serve
2 eggs, separated
2 tbsp coconut oil
1½ cups yoghurt
1 cup raspberries
1. Mix together the flour, baking powder, bicarb and chia seeds.
2. Beat the honey, buttermilk, lemon zest and egg yolks.
3. Add the wet mixture into the dry and mix until combined.
4. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold into the batter.
5. Heat a non-stick pan over medium and add 1 tbsp of coconut oil.
6. Pour ⅓ cup batter into the pan and cook for 2–3 minutes, until you see bubbles on the side. Flip and cook for another 2 minutes, until cooked through. Repeat until your batter is finished.
7. Serve the wholewheat flapjacks warm with yoghurt, lemon zest, honey and raspberries.
Recipe & styling: Elizabeth Mackenzie
Photography: Jotham van Tonder // HMimages.co.za
Since it’s summer, this blueberry, chia and walnut smoothie will make a great brekkie option!