This roast makes a mean main, and leftovers make perfect fillers for wraps, sandwiches and salads. Try out our whole roasted chicken recipe with pears and spinach for some extra flavour.
SERVES 2 // COOKING TIME 1 hour
1 whole chicken, giblets removed
¼ cup olive oil, to rub
5 pears, 3 halved, 2 cut into wedges
4 garlic cloves, crushed
4 sprigs thyme
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 garlic clove, grated
3 tbsp olive oil
4 cups baby spinach
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Place the chicken in a roasting dish and rub with olive oil. Season.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients to the dish and cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes. Increase the oven temperature to 200°C, remove the tinfoil and roast for an additional 15 minutes, until golden and crispy.
4. Add the garlic and oil to a pan. Bring to a medium heat. Add the spinach and flash fry for a few minutes, until wilted.
5. Lay spinach on a serving platter and place the chicken on top. Arrange the pears around the chicken and drizzle with pan juices. Season and serve.
Recipe & styling: Chiara Turilli
Photography: Jotham van Tonder // HMimages.co.za