Imagine a delicious, perfectly-textured cake that serves as a healthy alternative and won’t aggravate any bloating. This wheat-free chocolate cake does just that!
MAKES 1 // COOKING TIME 1 hour 25 min
250 g dark chocolate
150 g caster sugar
150 g butter
100 g almond flour
Zest of 1 orange
5 eggs, separated
Cocoa powder, to dust
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 23 cm round spring-form cake tin with baking paper.
2. Melt the chocolate, sugar and butter together in a double boiler until combined. Remove from the heat.
3. Add almond flour and orange zest. Mix gently.
4. Beat in the eggs yolks, one at a time, with an electric beater.
5. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold ⅓ of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture, then fold in the rest.
6. Pour the mixture into the tin. Bake for 40–45 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean.
7. Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Dust with cocoa powder to serve.