With summer drawing to a close, we got our hands on some of the last watermelons of the season (and recommend you do the same). And because we never waste here in the MK kitchen, we used the rind to make a lovely watermelon konfyt, a South African classic.
Rind of ¼ watermelon
4½ cups sugar
3 cups water
2 lemons, sliced
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp nutmeg
1. Peel the green skin from the rind, then slice the white rind into 2 cm cubes.
2. Soak in salted water overnight. Rinse.
3. Bring to the boil in clean water and simmer until tender. Drain.
4. In a separate pot, heat the sugar in the water along with the lemon slices and spices. Simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Add the watermelon rind and cook until transparent.
6. Transfer to sterilised jars and store in your refrigerator.