Just because winter is on its way out, doesn’t mean you should quit vitamin C! This vitamin C booster soup is perfect for a healthy springtime dish.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 1 hour
1 tbsp olive oil
½ large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 carrots, chopped
1 apple, chopped, plus to garnish
1½ tbsp crushed ginger
600 g butternut (±1 small), peeled and chopped
½ tsp dried thyme
½ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp cinnamon
Salt and black pepper
1 L vegetable stock
½ cup coconut milk
½ lemon, juiced
2 tbsp honey
Pumpkin seeds, to garnish
1. Heat the oil in a pot and fry the onion and garlic for 2 minutes. Add the carrots, apple and ginger. Fry for 5 minutes.
2. Add the butternut, dried thyme, turmeric, cinnamon, 1 tsp salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add the stock and coconut milk and simmer for 20 minutes, until the vegetables are tender. Remove from heat and add the lemon juice and honey.
4. Purée the soup with a stick blender.
5. Serve garnished with strips of apple and toasted pumpkin seeds.
Recipe & styling: Amerae Vercueil & Chiara Turilli
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za
Looking for something to enjoy when the heat of summer hits? Try these 4 vitamin juice recipes!