Making use of healthy grains to create delicious and filling snacks is what makes these vegetable oatcakes so amazing! They work for quick morning bites or as an energy boost when you hit that late afternoon slump.
MAKES 6 // COOKING TIME 30 min
For the oatcakes
3 cups broccoli, stems removed, cut into chunks
2 large carrots, cut into chunks
1 medium onion, peeled and cut into chunks
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
½ tsp paprika
2 cups large oat flakes
2 tbsp flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
½ cup corn kernels (optional)
¼ cup vegetable oil
For the yoghurt sauce
¼ cup plain double-cream yoghurt
1 tbsp mayonnaise
1. Place the broccoli, carrots, onion, garlic and paprika in a food processor and blend until fine. Add the eggs, oats, flour, salt and pepper, and pulse to combine. Fold in corn kernels, if using.
2. Preheat about 2 tbsp oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the rest of the oil as you need it, while frying.
3. Using your hands, form tablespoonfuls of the mixture into patties. Fry for 3 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
4. To make the sauce, whisk together the yoghurt and mayo.
5. Serve the vegetable oatcakes warm with the sauce.
Recipe: Amerae Vercueil
Styling: Chiara Turilli
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za