A hearty soup packed with complex flavours doesn’t require hours spent standing in front of the stove. Our lovely comforting veg and sausage soup can be on your table in under an hour.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 40 min
1 tbsp olive oil, plus to drizzle
2 onions, peeled and chopped
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 butternut, peeled and diced
3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 tsp ginger, peeled and grated
1 chilli, finely chopped
700 ml chicken stock
400g tin chopped tomatoes
3 tbsp tomato paste
2 sprigs rosemary
1 bay leaf
300g sausage, sliced
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil over low heat. Add vegetables. Cover and cook gently for 10 minutes.
2. Add garlic, ginger and chilli. Cover and cook for 2–3 minutes.
3. Add chicken stock, tomatoes, tomato paste, rosemary and bay leaf. Bring to the boil. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and fry the sausage until golden and slightly crispy.
5. Remove the rosemary and bay leaf, add the sausage, and season with salt and pepper.