This meat-free Monday we’re going local! Try our own creative take on this delicious umfino frittata for a carb-conscious meal.
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 20 min
Vegetable oil, to shallow-fry
2 potatoes, very thinly sliced
¼ cup milk
Coarse salt and black pepper
1 cup shredded cabbage
1 cup chopped baby spinach
1 chilli, finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven grill.
2. Heat the oil over medium heat and fry the potatoes until golden brown. Drain on paper towel and set aside.
3. In a bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper.
4. Heat some oil in an ovenproof non-stick pan over medium heat. Pour in the egg mixture; scatter potatoes, cabbage and spinach on top.
5. Cook for 5 minutes, until the bottom of the frittata is set. Then put under the grill for 5 minutes, until the top is golden and puffy.
6. Serve seasoned with chilli and salt.
Recipe & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Andreas Eiselen//HMimages.co.za