Schiacciata con l’uva is a traditional Tuscan focaccia with grapes made for sharing around a table. Its sweet flavour makes it a delicious summertime treat you can enjoy for Sunday lunch with the fam!
MAKES 1 // COOKING TIME 1 hour 15 min
2 tsp yeast
3 tbsp sugar
1½ cups warm water
2½ cups flour
¼ cup olive oil + to brush
2 tsp salt
1 bunch seedless red grapes
1. Place the yeast and 1 tbsp sugar in the water and leave for 5 minutes, until foamy.
2. Bring together the flour, oil, salt and yeast mixture. Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
3. Form the dough into a ball, place in a greased bowl, cover with cling film and leave to proof for 30 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 220°C and grease a deep baking tray.
5. Roll out the dough to fit the tray and brush the surface with a little extra oil.
6. Use your fingers to make small indentations all over the bread, then insert the grapes into them. Sprinkle with 2 tbsp sugar.
7. Bake for about 12 minutes, until the bread is golden brown and cooked through.
Recipe & styling: Chiara Turilli
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za