Yoghurt soup is a popular comfort food in Turkey, and is also commonly taken to someone who’s ill. Garnish this treat with crunchy lentils for the perfect winter warmer.
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 40 min
For the chilli dressing
¼ cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tsp chilli flakes
For the soup
1¼ L vegetable stock
1 cup brown rice
1 L full-cream yoghurt
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tbsp dried mint
1 tsp salt and pinch pepper
2 cups cooked brown lentils (1 cup dried)
Handful baby spinach
1. For the dressing, heat oil in a pot. Add the garlic and chilli flakes, then set aside to cool.
2. Bring the stock and rice to a simmer in a large pot. Simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Whisk together yoghurt, egg and cornflour until smooth.
4. To stop the yoghurt mixture curdling, add 1 large spoonful of hot stock. Then add the whole mixture to the stock pot. Season with mint, salt and pepper.
5. Simmer for 10 minutes, until the rice is cooked and the soup is slightly thickened.
6. Serve with lentils, spinach, and a drizzle of the dressing.
Recipe: Amarae Vercueil
Styling: Chiara Turilli
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za