Put your sweet-making skills to the test with this rose-flavoured classic! A batch of Turkish delight is a perfect way to treat yourself and the fam.
MAKES 20 // COOKING TIME 4 hours 20 min
2 tbsp gelatin
200 g caster sugar
60 g cornflour, plus extra to dust
2 tbsp lemon juice
90 g icing sugar, plus extra to dust
Pinch cream of tartar
Red food colouring
2 tsp rose water
1. Line a 10 × 20 cm baking tin with baking paper.
2. Pour 280 ml hot water into a microwave-safe bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin over it. Whisk with a fork so the grains dissolve, then leave to bloom (swell) for a few minutes until thick and spongy.
3. Add caster sugar. Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Stir well. Microwave for 5 more minutes until thick and syrupy.
4. Mix together cornflour and lemon juice. Whisk into the hot sugar mixture, along with the icing sugar and cream of tartar. Microwave on high for another 3–5 minutes.
5. Add colouring and rose water.
6. Pour into prepared baking tin and leave to set, about 4 hours.
7. Cut into squares and dust with a little cornflour and icing sugar. Store in a single layer in an airtight container in a cool place (don’t keep in the fridge).
Recipe & styling: Caro Alberts
Photography: Juliette Bisset // HMimages.co.za