If chicken noodle soup is your go-to for when you’re feeling under the weather, then prepare to discover your new favourite with chicken tortilla soup!
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 1 hour
1 onion, finely chopped
1 leek, finely chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
2 bay leaves
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
4 cups chicken stock
1 tin chopped tomatoes
3 tbsp parsley, chopped
4 chicken breasts
1 tin red kidney beans
1 cup frozen corn
2 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp garlic powder
3 tortilla wraps, cut into strips
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Put some oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions, leeks and celery. Fry for 5 minutes, until golden.
3. Add the carrots, bay leaves, cumin and paprika. Fry for 2 minutes, until fragrant.
4. Add stock, tomatoes, parsley, chicken and beans. Simmer for 25 minutes, add corn in last 5 minutes.
5. Remove the chicken, shred and return to the pot.
6. Mix the remaining ingredients, except the strips, and season.
7. Put strips on a baking tray, brush with oil mix and bake for 10–15 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.
8. Spoon the tortilla soup into bowls and top with tortilla strips, avo, coriander and lime.
Recipe & styling: Elizabeth Mackenzie
Photography: Samantha Pinto // HMimages.co.za
This tortilla soup is the perfect boost when you’re feeling low, but you’ll more than just soup to get your energy back. Try our baked fish and veggies for a colourful, healthy dish.