Do you love spending time in the kitchen making food for you and your loved ones? If so, you should try this tomato-based oxtail soup recipe!
SERVES 4–6 // COOK TIME 3 hours
3 onions, thinly sliced4 baby onions, halved
3 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
2 leeks, roughly chopped
600 g oxtail
1 cup red wine
1 tin chopped tomatoes
2 cups beef stock
2 thyme sprigs
4 rosemary sprigs
1. Heat some olive oil with some butter in a pot over medium. Add the onions and fry for 20 minutes, until caramelised. Remove from the pot and set aside.
2. Heat some more olive oil in the same pot. add the baby onions, carrots and leeks. Fry until browned. Remove and set aside.
3. Add a little more olive oil to the pot. Add the oxtail and fry for 10 minutes.
4. Add the red wine and simmer until the liquid is almost gone. Then add the tomatoes and beef stock.
5. Add the caramelised onions and thyme. turn the heat to low, cover and cook for 90 minutes.
6. Add the veggies, season to taste and cook for 1 hour. Add more water if the soup reduces too much.
7. Serve with a sprig of fresh rosemary.
Want to add a little twist to your oxtail soup? Then try this Marmite-oxtail soup recipe! It is super delicious and has a South African touch!