If you’re craving an old-fashioned BLT but need a veggie option, this tofu alternative makes the perfect substitute – packing in all the flavour without the meat.
SERVES 2 // COOKING TIME 20 min, plus resting and marinating time
200 g firm tofu
3 tbsp honey
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp chilli sauce
1 tsp paprika
Salt and black pepper
2 tbsp Olive oil
4 slices wholewheat bread
4 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp mustard
Fresh salad leaves
1 large tomato, sliced
1. Cut the tofu into 4 thin slices. Press the tofu by laying out the slices in a clean dish or on paper towels and top with something heavy. Leave for 10–15 minutes until completely dried.
2. Combine the honey, soy sauce, chilli sauce, paprika and plenty of black pepper in a bowl. Mix well.
3. Place the tofu slices in the marinade and leave for at least 30 minutes, or overnight.
4. To cook, place the tofu in a frying pan over medium heat with a glug of olive oil. Pour over any leftover marinade. Cook for 5 minutes on each side, or until the tofu is firm and crispy.
5. Assemble the sandwiches by smearing each side of the bread with mayonnaise and mustard. Layer with the fresh greens, tomato and tofu.