Balmy days aren’t over just yet! Get a taste of the tropics with these tasty tempura prawns with granadilla cream cheese. They make the ultimate summer canapé option.
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 35 min
250 g cream cheese
½ cup granadilla pulp
1 cup flour
1 cup soda water
1 tsp salt
Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
100 g prawns, cleaned, with tails attached
100 g panko breadcrumbs
1 French loaf, cut into 2 cm slices
1. Combine the cream cheese and the granadilla pulp. Set aside.
2. Whisk together the flour, soda water and salt to form a smooth batter.
3. In a deep pot, heat the vegetable oil to medium heat.
4. Dip the prawns in the tempura batter, then the panko breadcrumbs. Deep-fry them until golden and crisp. Drain on paper towel.
5. To serve, spread a generous layer of granadilla cream cheese on each slice of bread, top with a tempura prawn and serve immediately.
Recipe & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za