Making your favourite takeout meals at home is way easier than you think. This sweet and sour pork is a classic that we simply can’t get enough of!
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 1 hour
1 onion, sliced
½ red pepper, sliced
½ yellow pepper, sliced
2 garlic cloves, grated
2 tsp grated ginger
2 tbsp cornflour
500 g boneless pork cubes
1½ tbsp white rice vinegar
¼ cup soy sauce
¾ cup chicken stock
½ pineapple, half blended and half chopped
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp water
3 cups cooked brown rice
1 cup coriander
4 tsp sesame seeds
2 spring onions, sliced
1. Heat some oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and fry for 5 min. Add the peppers, garlic and ginger and fry for 2 minutes. Remove from pan.
2. Place 5 tsp of the cornflour in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Toss through the pork.
3. Heat some more oil in the pan and fry the pork until crispy and cooked through. Remove from the pan.
4. Add the vinegar, soy sauce, stock and blended pineapple to the pan. Bring to the boil. Add the tomato paste and honey.
5. Mix the remaining cornflour with the water. Add this to the sauce. Simmer and stir occasionally until thickened.
6. Add the pineapple pieces, cooked veggies and pork.
7. Serve the sweet and sour pork on top of brown rice topped with coriander, sesame seeds and spring onion.
Recipe & styling: Kate Turner
Photography: Sean Dollery // HMimages.co.za
Up for another Chinese takeout classic? Check out our beef chow mein with tenderstem broccoli!