We took one of our local favourites, added some healthy carbs, and made these sweet potatoes stuffed with bobotie. They are delicious!
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 45 min
2 sweet potatoes, halved
Salt and black pepper
Olive oil, to drizzle
1 thick slice bread, crust removed
1½ cups milk
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp butter
2 onions, peeled and sliced
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2 tbsp curry powder
2 tbsp chutney
2 tbsp brown vinegar
1 tbsp smooth apricot jam
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp salt
1 tsp turmeric
1 kg beef mince
½ cup raisins
4–6 bay leaves
1 egg, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Place potatoes on a baking tray, season and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 15 minutes.
3. Scoop out some of the flesh. Set aside.
4. Soak bread in milk. Drain and mash.
5. Heat oil and butter in a pot. Fry onions and garlic until soft.
6. Add curry powder, chutney, vinegar, jam, Worcestershire sauce, salt and turmeric.
7. Add the bread, mince, raisins and bay leaves. Cook over low heat, stirring until the mince is just done. Remove from the heat.
8. Add the egg. Mix well, then spoon the bobotie mixture into the sweet potatoes.
9. Return the sweet potatoes to the oven for 15 minutes, until they are completely soft and the bobotie is set.