Veggie ice cream is becoming a big deal in the food world so we just had to create one of our own. Tuck into our sweet potato and nutmeg ice cream to keep cool this weekend.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 35 min, plus freezing time
360 g sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
5 egg yolks
¼ tsp nutmeg
2 cups cream
1 cup milk
140 g brown sugar
1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped
Sugar cones, to serve
1. Place the sweet potatoes in a pot with a little water (not enough to cover) and bring to the boil. Cook for 12–15 minutes, until soft and cooked through. Remove, drain and allow to cool, then mash.
2. Beat together the egg yolks and the nutmeg.
3. Place the cream, milk, sugar, and vanilla pod and seeds in a pot over medium heat. Stir until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and pour over the yolks, while whisking continuously. Return the mixture to the pot. Cook over low heat, still whisking, for 8–10 minutes, until it has thickened.
4. Remove from the heat and add the mashed sweet potatoes. Allow to cool, stirring every few minutes. Remove the vanilla pod.
5. Pour into an ice-cream maker and follow the instructions, or place in a container in the freezer and mix with a fork every few hours to break up the ice crystals. The ice cream should take 6–10 hours to set, depending on the temperature of your freezer.
6. Serve the ice cream in sugar cones.