When it comes to creative food combinations, this one may just be the winner! These sushi burritos combine the best of both worlds, making them a tasty snack perfect for summer.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 45 min
3 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup sushi rice, cooked, still hot
4 sheets nori
Black sesame seeds
1 carrot, sliced into ribbons
½ cucumber, sliced into ribbons
¼ cup mayonnaise
200 g salmon, sliced into
2 cm thick strips
1 avocado, peeled and sliced lengthways
Handful coriander, chopped
1. Combine rice vinegar, sugar and salt, and mix into the hot cooked rice.
2. Transfer the rice to a large container and spread it out into a thin layer. Set aside to cool.
3. To assemble, place 2 sheets of nori next to each other on a sushi mat with the sides overlapping by about 5 cm. (If you don’t have a mat, use a tea towel folded in ½ and covered in cling film.)
4. Scatter the sesame seeds over the nori. Cover the nori and seeds with the cooled rice and press it down to flatten and stick.
5. Top with carrot and cucumber ribbons. Spread with mayonnaise. Arrange salmon and avocado down the middle. Sprinkle with the coriander.
6. Carefully roll up the nori and wrap the roll in cling film. Let it set for 10–20 minutes.
7. Cut the sushirritos in ½ and serve with soy sauce and wasabi.
Recipe & styling: Caro Alberts
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za