Red peppers are by far the most beneficial bell peppers. These super stuffed red peppers are filled with vitamins and antioxidants.
MAKES 4–6 // COOKING TIME 1 hour 20 min
1 onion, chopped
2 celery sticks, chopped
4 brown mushrooms, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
500 g beef mince
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp honey
4 cups baby spinach, chopped
1 cup brown rice, cooked
½ cup parsley, chopped
½ cup dill, chopped
4-6 red peppers
1 cup feta, crumbled
2 tbsp olive oil
¼ cup dill, chopped
1. Sauté the onion and celery for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
2. Add the mince and brown for 10–15 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes and honey. Allow to simmer for 30 minutes. Season again, to taste.
4. Add the baby spinach, brown rice, parsley and dill, and mix.
5. Preheat oven to 180°C.
6. Cut the tops off the peppers and clean out the insides.
7. Stuff with the filling and top with crumbled feta and a drizzle of olive oil. Pop their lids on.
8. Roast for 20 minutes. Remove the lids and roast for another 10 minutes with the lids on the side.
9. Serve your stuffed red peppers immediately with dill.
Recipe & styling: Elizabeth Mackenzie
Photography: Samantha Pinto // HMimages.co.za
Jumped on the red pepper bandwagon? Play around with flavour with these traditional red pepper and Brie pinchos.