Who wants to spend hours in the kitchen on a hot sunny day? Not us! This summer corn soup will give you a delicious plate of nutritional yum in no time at all! 20 minutes to be exact!
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 20 min
2 yellow peppers
Olive oil, to fry
1 onion, peeled and sliced
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
Juice and zest of 1 orange
Salt and pepper
80 g cherry tomatoes, chopped
2 green chillies, thinly sliced
1. Blanch mielies in salted, boiling water for 7 minutes. Remove them and set aside to cool.
2. Over an open flame or in the oven, blister the skin of the yellow peppers all over until it starts to blacken. Place in a bowl, cover with cling film and allow to steam.
3. Meanwhile, heat a little olive oil and fry the onion and garlic for 5 minutes, until translucent.
4. Remove the pepper skins (they should peel off easily after being steamed) and seeds. Slice mielie kernels off the cobs.
5. Place pepper flesh, kernels, fried onions, and orange zest and juice in a food processor. Blend until smooth. Season then place in the fridge to chill.
6. Serve chilled, garnished with tomatoes and chillies.