Stuffed mushrooms are the way to go when you have people over. Add a good cheese and some spinach to balance it all out, and you have a winner on your hands. We recommend popping our stuffed portobello mushrooms on the braai right before serving to give them a delicious smoky flavour.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 45 min
8 portobello mushrooms
3 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
16 baby tomatoes, halved
200g spinach, washed and shredded
1 cup ricotta
Salt and black pepper
Balsamic reduction, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 200°C
2. Rub the mushrooms with some of the olive oil. Place them in a roasting dish and set aside.
3. Heat a little olive oil in a large, deep pan and sauté the garlic with the tomatoes. Once just browned, remove from the pan and set aside. Using the same pan, cook the spinach until just wilted(it won’t take very long, about 5 minutes).
4. Spoon roughly 2 heaped tablespoons of ricotta into each mushroom cap, followed by the wilted spinach and a few tomato halves.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper and drizzle with some olive oil.
6. Bake for 18–20 minutes, until mushrooms are lovely and tender.
7. Drizzle with balsamic reduction to serve.