Panzanella, or bread salad, is a lovely Tuscan dish that makes use of stale bread. We opted for leftover croissants for this summery cucumber and strawberry Panzanella.
SERVES 6–8 // COOKING TIME 1 hour 45 min
¼ cup melted butter
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp olive oil
Sugar and salt
500 g strawberries, chopped
1 cucumber, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 160°C.
2. Cut the croissants into large croutons and place on a baking tray. Drizzle with melted butter, then mix with your hands to ensure they are all evenly and generously coated.
3. Bake for 30–45 minutes, until golden brown (check regularly to ensure the croissants don’t burn). Switch off the oven and leave the croutons in to cool for another 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, make the salad dressing by mixing the lemon juice, oil, and a little sugar and salt to taste.
5. Place the strawberries, cucumber and mint leaves in a serving bowl. Add the salad dressing and toss to coat. Let stand for 10 minutes to allow the strawberries to release their juices.
6. Just before serving, add the croutons and toss to mix into the salad.
Recipe & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Andreas Eiselen/HMimages.co.za